HomeNewsFeatures

Feature Search

  • Scott History: 1990s

    The 90s saw multiple organizational movements and realignments that impacted Scott Air Force Base’s purpose and mission. Starting in the early 90s, the 375th Aeromedical Airlift Wing and the United States Air Force Medical Center Scott were realigned under the 22nd Air Force while the 375th Aeromedical Airlift Wing was re-designated as the 375th
  • Scott History: 1980s

    During the 1980s Scott renovated many older structures and built new ones. A new precision Measurement Equipment Lab was completed in March 1981. To provide Military Airlift Command with dedicated communications to ensure rapid response during crises, Air Force Communications Command activated the Airlift Communications Division at Scott on June 1,
  • Scott History: 1970s

    From 1967-70, a total of 75,000 battlefield casualties were brought to the United States. Throughout that same period, the 375th Aeromedical Airlift Wing’s domestic aeromedical evacuation system moved an average of 60,600 patients a year. During the 1970s, Scott Air Force Base and the 375th AAW continued their involvement in aeromedical airlift. In
  • Scott History: 1960s

    As the remaining radio schools were phased out and relocated during the late 1950s, responsibility moved from the Air Training Command to the Military Air Transport Service, and Scott Air Force Base assumed a new role in the 1960s. During the early 60s, Scott primarily supported other units on base and also held the unique distinction of hosting
  • Scott History: 1950s

    Not all the Airmen who contributed directly to Scott missions were on the base in the 1950s. The buildings that made up the Belleville Air Force Station, informally called “Turkey Hill” were positioned in the rolling outskirts of Belleville. The location of the 798th Radar Squadron was chosen in 1949 for its high elevation in the region. The Airmen
  • Scott History: 1940s

    Radio operator-mechanics training was the primary mission of Scott Field during World War II. The Radio School began classes in October 1940 in Hangar 1 before moving to another area. With a slogan of, “The best damned radio operators in the world!” the 77,370 graduates were referred to as the WWII “eyes and ears of the Army Air Forces.” The Airmen
  • Scott History: 1930s

    Complete, non-stop mail service across the continent was first attempted by 2d Lt. John Fowler (unless he was Army the correct abbrev is 2d). A 40-pound sack of mail that was fastened to his airship was lowered by rope to a designated location, where it was placed on a second plane and transferred again. The entire operation lasted 15 minutes and
  • Scott History: 1917-1930

    During World War I, Secretary of War, Newton Baker, encouraged an expanded role for aviation. Business and political leaders on both sides of the Mississippi River wanted the Midwest to be the location of a new flying field. Aerial expert Albert Bond Lambert joined with the St. Louis Chamber of Commerce and the directors of the Greater Belleville
  • Team Scott member 1 of 3 Algerian-born triplets serving today’s Air Force

    For one Algerian family, 6,600 miles was the distance between a life of struggle and a life of promise and opportunity. Their journey has carried them over thousands of miles, from a barren region in Africa to California’s Simi Valley where eventually the Harchaoui triplets—Myriam, Rabah and Warda—would join the U.S. Air Force. Scott Air Force Base
  • Public Health Cmdr. Chodacki helps with mental, emotional wellness during crisis, disasters

    After the Northeast was torn apart by wind and slammed by violent waters during Superstorm Sandy in 2014, Cmdr. Julie Chodacki, along with 400 other United States Public Health Services Commissioned Corps members, deployed to assist those affected with getting their lives back on track.This was just one of six deployments in the past 10 years to
RSS