HomeNewsPhotos

ImageGallery

Keyword: Category: Tag: Sort By:
Radar operators pose for a photo in 1953 at the Belleville Air Force Station at Turkey Hill, Belleville. These Airmen were assigned to the 798th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron, which was responsible for monitoring the skies for hostile airborne objects in the metro-east, including the St. Louis metropolitan area. These particular Airmen were tasked with continuous detection, identification, and monitoring of aircraft. The call sign they used to communicate with F-86 pilots at Scott Air Force Base and with other air defense centers was “Agony,” so named as to be random for security and reporting purposes.


Scott through the Years

Radar operators pose for a photo in 1953 at the Belleville Air Force Station at Turkey Hill, Belleville. These Airmen were assigned to the 798th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron, which was responsible for monitoring the skies for hostile airborne objects in the metro-east, including the St. Louis metropolitan area. These particular Airmen were tasked with continuous detection, identification, and monitoring of aircraft. The call sign they used to communicate with F-86 pilots at Scott Air Force Base and with other air defense centers was “Agony,” so named as to be random for security and reporting purposes.

Related Imagery
Historic Photo
170509-F-XX000-003.JPG

DOWNLOAD PHOTO
(7.92 MB)



Tags




< Back to Main Gallery