An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Need help filing taxes? Scott Legal Office ready to assist

  • Published
  • 375th Legal Office

Tax season is here! Don’t have your 2016 taxes filed yet?

This year the Scott Air Force Base Legal Office will be on hand to assist eligible members through the filing process. Now through April 14, the Scott Legal Office and Tax Center will allow a “drop off” preparation service. Active duty members with an annual income less than $53,505 (combined with spouse if filing jointly) with basic returns (no rental properties, multiple stock trades, etc.) can bring in and drop off their W-2 and additional tax documents.

Members will then be interviewed by a VITA certified volunteer, who will ensure that all relevant information is obtained. After the return is complete the member will come back to review, sign and e-file the return. This process will eliminate long waits and help expedite tax return service.

The Legal Office will also host a unique opportunity. From 6:30-8:30 p.m. March 15 volunteers will set up a “Mobile Tax Center” in the Belleville dorm day room for members who cannot drop off their taxes during our office duty hours. Members wishing to participate need to bring the items listed in the checklist below (if applicable). Volunteers will be available to interview members and make copies of needed documents. After preparation of the returns members will be notified and arrangements made to review the returns.

For those active duty members with income greater than $53,505, one easy tool is, which provides free tax preparation software through H&R Block. Through Military OneSource, active duty service members can file federal and state tax returns. The website also has online support services and a user-friendly database to answer your filing questions. In addition to MOS, any eligible member can visit or call 2-1-1 to find a free tax prep location.


·         Proof of identification;

·         W-2 forms;

·         SSN;

·         Current address;

·         Copy of previously filed tax returns (for adjusted gross income);

·         Various 1099 forms;

·         Student loan expenses or 1098-T (you receive this from your school);

·         IRA contributions;

·         Charitable donations receipts;

·         Alimony;

·         Childcare costs;

·         Routing and account number for direct deposit (voided check); and

·         1095 or other health Insurance Statements (located on myPay).

The Legal Office is located at 101 Heritage Drive (AMW HQ Building) on the second floor.

For more information visit and type in checklist in the search engine.